What to do when your Data gets corrupted!!Murtaza Bawa
Ever happened that one day you open your photos folder and photos appear like the above picture or it just doesn’t open with the error of media corrupted?
If yes then you are not alone! Data corruption is very common more than you think. From the beginning of the computer era, users have faced files and data corruption. In normal words, data corruption stands for altering of files data from its original condition.
It depends on the value of data if it’s important or not. If you are working in a company that stores thousands of files that are not accessible anymore, then it might be a business-critical issue. If that’s the case then one should check the entire system to determine the reason behind the corruption.
The reasons for data corruption
There are numerous reasons for data corruption.
- Files can get corrupted when the storage device is getting old. The result of these “normal” damage related failures can be while working on it, or even when the drive is not in use,
- Sudden loss of power can be another reason for Data corruption. While working on your laptop that has hard drive or chip based SSD drives and sudden power surge occurs and your laptop or desktop shuts down, the file you might be working’s only parts of a file may be transferred correctly, leaving the whole file corrupted.
This can happen to SSDs as well. If controller in the SSD malfunctions then it stops working properly or doesn’t correctly communicate with the storage chips, the result is the same as if the power went down and transferred files became corrupted. Even with the minor corruption, the file can still be opened, but it doesn’t mean that all of the data is still in good condition.
Data corruption is very difficult to avoid but Data Recovery is still possible!
Normally two types of files could get corrupt:
Word (.docx) file and an image file like a .jpg or a .png file. In both cases, it will give you a message “Can’t read the file, it’s either damaged or corrupted”.
In this case you have two options to save the day
- Use a data recovery software tool
- Get help from a professional data recovery service provider.
In some cases most of the Data recovery software doesn’t work where the file is fragmented over a different part of the disk, then you need professional help.
Usually, recovering data by yourself is not always a good idea as it’s a risky job and can lead to data loss or in worst cases impossible to recover. Data recovery experts can recover data that cannot be recovered from some data recovery software. They can repair the injury and recover the primary data or can repair the HDD or SSD to the point where they can fill in the missing or corrupted data
If your data is damaged then what can you do to avoid losing more data or to increase the chances of recovery?
- Don’t perform any experiments on the original drive, try creating a sector level image and recover data from it. ( numerous tools are available for that)
- Never run CHKDSK or any related commands as it will overwrite the damaged blocks and make data recovery even more complicated.
- If you still can’t recover the data then Data recovery experts.
In most of the cases Data Recovery is possible so if you are facing such problem then stay calm and call Data Recovery experts such as IT Tech4All.
IT Tech4All recovers data from all types of hard drives, SSDs, USBs and much more. Contact today and get your free diagnosis done.